Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rest & Relaxation

I have adopted a saying over the years, it is simply : "Wow, it's good to be me today!" Not saying 'I' am wonderful but keeping more in line with that meaning that whatI got to do that day was wonderful. I have been so blessed over the years. I have been able to so many large things and even more small things. I just ask God to keep me grounded so that I don't miss anything along the way. I'm sitting here on Sunday evening around 5:50pm and I am getting ready to prepare my lesson plan for class I will teach on Tuesday.

I had a great day. It began by waking up and calling my loved ones. Hearing their voices and talking to them is always a reminder that I have wonderful people in my life, I am blessed and I love them. It makes being far away feel like I am still at home. After my phone calls were done I got on my computer and maps to figure out where I could get a massage in this town. I finally ran across a place in some travel cards I had bought, called them and then hailed a taxi.

Soon, after being denied by one, and told by another that he did not "know the way," I found one who thought he knew where I needed to go. He got a little lost, but the difference between this cabbie and the one last night - this one picked up his cell phone and called the place rather than just leaving me in the middle of nowhere!

I entered a beautiful Japanese style massage house. Oh! It was awesome. The lighting was dim, the smells were wonderful, the music was perfect. First I was moved into a room and placed in a very fluffy relining chair. A sweet young guy came in and proceeded to give me a 1 hour foot massage. All the while the room was dark and water was trickling over some nearby rocksthat had which made up the wall I was sitting next to.

When the foot massage was complete he moved me into a room and gave me some clothing to put on (it was pretty cool!) and then came in and gave me a 1 hour Shiatsu massage OMG, it felt so good. He was very sweet and gave a good deep tissue rub without killing me. I then changed clothes and was moved to a beautifully lit room for a manicure. I chose a light mint green nail polish and she added a sparkly diamond to each ring finger. All the while I was being served hot tea and being dotted on :)

Leaving the 'Dragonfly" I went a few doors down for some noodles and a fried rice pancake. It was just lovely. I have made a reservation to go back on Wednesday evening for a 2 hour hot oil, 4 hands massage. I think it will be amazing. I know two hands feel great, I can't imagine 4 at the same time.

Today I accomplished many small things. For me, having never really travelled alone, everything I do here is an accomplishment for me, even if it is gettting completely lost. Today I made my first phone call in China, I had my first 'Shaiatsu" massage (i usually have Chinese or Hot Oil), I left a note on my bed in Chinese chararcters asking the cleaning ladies for more paper slippers and guess what? Two pairs were placed by my bed. I got it right!!! I walked alone in unknown parts of China and I was able to get my way back to my hotel. I discovered new shops, new food dishes and I learned that an American size 9 shoe DOES NOT exist in China even when the girl says, "Yes, Me have your size." (when I put it on it was so tight, she said, "Just wear a little, you will like...It reminded me of Steve Martin's Cruel Shoes Monologue from the late 70's) I also got to see the ONLY legal Christian church in Beijing and saw a bride and groom on the steps of the church having their photos taken. They were beautiful and so happy!

I'm here now in my room finishing off a small chocolate ice cream and having a beer. It is like the perfect end to the perfect day. I can sit back, look over my day, and with all gratitude and sincerity say, "It WAS really good to be me today!"

1 comment:

  1. the massages and manicure sounds heavenly!!! i could use either one of those right about now lol....

    ReplyDelete