Friday, March 19, 2010

TGIF even in Bejing

Rarely have I looked forward to a Friday night like I did today. I remember the college days and the working days. Friday nights anticipation began on Wednesday and found me almost giddy by the time 5:00 pm Friday finally hit. It was time for fun, for relaxing, drinking and just letting a rough week slip away. Today, I found myself feeling that same old excitement. I couldn't wait for the day to end, and it was a fantastic day.

The work load this week was horrendous, but it was always 'good'. I never once thought to myself that I didn't love what I was doing. But I did find myself wanting the day to end so I could finally unwind, schedule a massage and blog a little.

I had a great lesson. I was the last of 5 - 45 minute student teachings today. Needless to say, everyone was about to pass out from being tired (students, teachers and fellow classmates). I think I even saw the instructor go cross eyed a couple of times. My lesson and dialogue focused on birthdays and I bought a beautiful cake to celebrate. I made sure the students saw it early on and it worked as bribery to get them to endure all 5 lessons.

I heard it was a great success. I had a blast teaching it and spoke with my instructor afterwards. He said it was very good. We didn't get scores handed out or go through our post-teaching feedback. Everyone was ready to 'get out' for the night. We will do it on Monday instead.

I came back to the hotel around 7 pm and dumped my heavy backpack and took off exploring. I walked about 15-20 blocks in a 'new' direction and found a Dumpling house for dinner. I had a wonderful shredded chicken in a small table wok and a sweet corn fritter. OMG. The corn fritter is amazing! It's pieces of sweet corn cooked in a semi sweet batter and deep fried. To die for!

While in the restaurant I heard the loudest ruckus begin. In the lobby of the restaurant are tanks and bins of flowing water. There are about 25 varieties of bugs, crustations and fish available. Apparently two patrons were fighting over the same fish. I thought it was going to get violent. It was hilarious. Half the restaurant gathered around this man and woman screaming at each other. Waiters were literally running through the restaurant and the chef came running out. Finally some diplomatic decision was reached and they all returned to their seats.

First thing I did was order a beer. A man with a hand held wire milk basket came by the table and looked in his basket and handed me a beer. He apparently was the "Beer delivery Guy." It was funny. A few tables up from me were 3 men. One kept staring at me and the others would turn around when he spoke and just really give me the look. Not the "hey baaaaby" look, or the "I want to kill you look", it was just the fascination of "look at the blonde white woman drinking a beer - look." I just leaned back on one arm, lifted my beer and gave them my best Annie Oakly pose. When they left the restaurant I felt a stare through the window I was sitting by. There they stood, on the sidewalk peering my way.

I have scheduled a 2 hour massage at the Dragonfly tomorrow with Dennis. I am so excited. I think I will schedule one for Sunday as well. Tomorrow night Johan and Charlene (the kids from S.Africa) are having an apartment housewarming. They signed a one year lease and will stay to teach. They got a studio apartment (brand new) in the art district up the street from me. They are paying $360 US per month! Sunday I am taking 5 people out for dinner at the Noodle Loft. It is a place I saw on Food Network when Anthony Bourdain ate there. It is a premier restaurant in Beijing specializing in 30 different kinds of fresh noodles. When giving Martin the map and asking if he could tell me how to get there, we stood at the window of our classroom on the 12th floor and he pointed across the street. He said, "It's in that blue building Robin." Talk about fortuitous! I want to eat in only ONE place while I am here and it is across the street from school.

Relishing the fact that it is friday night brings joy, but also some sadness. As several of the people pointed out in class today, we only have one week of class left. We have all grown so close! I will miss these people dearly. Today one student played Sweet Home Alabama and it made me think of my family.....One girl played the Carpenter's song, I'm on the Top of the World. As it was playing, John - the guy from India came over, sat next to me and sang the song. He acted like he was singing to me and we video taped it. It was precious. When we were done he just smiled and said in that bouncy Indian voice ~ "I love you Robin." It was then that I realized I have family here too. I am so blessed. It's been a great week. God is good and my life is wonderful. (Thanks Jim....you created this reality for me)....

Well, it's 10 pm on a Friday. Like in the old days, I am glad it is here. Unlike in the old days, I am looking forward to sleep. I'm glad my life is in the stages it is in and I wouldn't change it for anything.

******the photo's are of the cake I bought for today, my garbage elevator and the corn fritter that is so delicious********

No comments:

Post a Comment