Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I shopped, I dropped......

Relishing the moment of having just had yet another 2 hour massage, I went next door from the Dragonfly to my favorite little Sunday afternoon restaurant. As I entered, the sweet little girl who offered me a second cup of hot water in the previous snowstorm smiled as I walked in and took me to my 'usual' table. The business deal I thought I was watching transpire last time between some business men and the chef had obviously made changes in the restaurant. This time I was waited on by the man in the tight white pants, (whom I now refer to in my mind simply as Hawaii Five-O), and another man with a hairline similar to Chow Yun Fat in Curse of the Golden Flower.

Both men attended to me with more attention than I give a wonderful meal I am cooking. They wouldn't let me drink more than two sips of beer without being there to replenish it. I ordered some Fried matsu-taki mushrooms and the wonderful beef and rice noodles I love so much. When they brought out the mushrooms, the chef had placed them inside a beautifully designed rice noodle heart. It was a beautiful plate and the one man kept asking if it was ok. I said, "Yes - I want to take a picture of it." He stood over my shoulder watching my camera screen as I took the photo, all the while nodding at Hawaii Five-O.

It was really tasty. The Chinese crack me up. I think they have discovered 'sprinkles'. You know, the sugar kind the kids love on ice cream. They sprinkled them all around my dish. There were hearts and moons and stars (not lucky charms). It is odd, they add sprinkles to the most savory of dishes, but that is what they do here. Anyhow, it was a delicious meal...again!

Leaving lunch I hailed a cab and had him take me to the Silk Market. OMG! I have just spent 6 hours in a labyrinth of indoor stalls hocking everything from tea sets to trinkets, silk to shoes, tailor-made suits to handmade crafts. I am EXHAUSTED! No, really. I am exhausted! I don't think I could have spent another 5 minutes in there. All I heard was, "Lady, come look. Lady want cashmere. Lady, you want Tiffany? Painting? Tea? Jewelry? Jade? Pants? Jeans? Silk?" My head is hurting as badly as my feet are!

I did leave with 5 large bags of items and realized it was easier to walk back to my hotel. I did not realize I was so close until I looked up at the skyline and saw the CCTV tower. It was only about a 20 block walk, which is not bad - but carrying all I had it damn near killed me. Only two little things are for me, well - 3 if I decide to keep the porcelain goldfish tea set - but I ended up with awesome gifts. I even spoke to my son Austin twice on the phone while in the market. that was fun. He would have hung in there with me, it would have been more enjoyable :)

It was a full day. I think my shopping is done and I will spend the next four days sitting in parks and being still. Tuesday I hired a private guide who will pick me up at my hotel in his/her car, take me to the Ming Tombs and Mutianyu, a section of the Great Wall that is more in it's natural state and a section I have never been to. We will have lunch and visit a small market as well. It should be a fun day and I will meet someone new.

Although I am a tourist there are small things that make me feel at home here. Just seeing familiar faces (my little girl in the restaurant and Hawaii Five-O) smiling at bicycle repair man and having a girl chase me down in the silk market and say, "You look tired. Let me make you a cup of tea" ( I bought from her earlier and she remembered). At the Dragonfly today I asked the girl at the front desk if they sold a CD with the music they play durring massage. She said, "No, but if you bring your USB memory stick next massage I will copy it from the computer for you." WOW! It's these moments that really make me happy - but as time goes on I am looking forward to getting to the airport and seeing my son when he picks me up. I am looking forward to my husband and my youngest son. I want to smooch my dogs and hold my baby goats. I want to breathe 'fresh' air and sleep on a bed with a mattress. I wan to soak in my tub!!

I will spend the next few days enjoying the quiet I have come to love in such a bustling city. Although I have been here for a month I have not turned on a TV! I am finding solitude and peace in myself and it makes me very happy. I do not sit and text all day, I do not have Facebook or Youtube. I don't miss American Idol or my car really. I am learning what really matters to me and what I want to change in my daily routine when I get home. For starters, as surprising as it seems - I took FB off my phone. I have learned I don't need it to make my day more interesting.

Oh! I walked out of the restaurant and the guy who bicycle scammed me last week was sitting there on his bike. He said hello and I said, "Oh, I remember you. You are the very bad guy." He dropped his head a bit. There were many people standing there and another guy said, "Me take you to Tian'anmen..only 3." I looked at him and said, "Yeah, only 300!" He looked surprised and then they all just laughed and laughed. Geesh! What a place....

****the photos are of my Matsu-taki mushrooms from lunch, flowers at a bank opening and a girl from the market who told me I am HARD bargin lady*****

No comments:

Post a Comment