Saturday, March 27, 2010

Graduation

It's funny...I sat around the table last night watching my fellow classmates giddy with the excitement of graduating. It is such a mixed bunch. For some, it is the only school they have attended since high school. For one, he has a BS in Physics and a MA in IT. One girl has a BA in Japanese and one has a BA in Engineering and a BA in Commerce (finance & accounting). I can say with complete honesty that each and every one that received their certification last night was completely thrilled.

I watched as those with no education felt they had been handed the 'Golden ticket', an opportunity to hold a valid certification in something. I also saw that my friends with multiple degrees seemed to value this one more. I also saw a friend of mine who has attended many colleges over the years (never finishing any) light up when she 'finally' held a certificate. It was fun to see the reactions and displays of joy and happiness.

I am the only one returning to their homeland (well, Vika went back to Russia today but is moving back), and the others will remain here, some already teaching. They are go getters each and every one of them and I discovered that although several held what we would consider to be very good degrees - each was here in search of something else.

I watched them all develop over the past few weeks and change. I saw them all become people who developed a true desire to 'teach'. It was interesting for me to witness this. We put such emphasis on long term (highly expensive) degrees, yet here were 9 other students who acted much like they had obtained their Doctorate rather than an Intensive Course Certificate. It thrilled me to see their faces, to watch their growth on a daily basis and to learn where each one came from and where they hope to go with their lives.

At the end of the day I sat back, laughing, smiling, proud. Odd as it is, I felt I had a real "mother" connection with each of them in some way or another. Although I was included in the group, receiving the same documentation - I was more thrilled to see see each one of them reach their personal goal. It was a great night last night. The perfect end to the past 4 weeks. And, at the end of the day, it's only 9 people, but it is 9 people who care, 9 people who 'want' to make a difference....And somehow I believe with all my heart that these 9 people will make a wonderfully positive impact on the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment