Saturday, March 13, 2010

Soho

Today I did something I had not really done since I have been here, I ventured outside of the area I have the cabs take me to, and I meandered around my school and covered a 25 block area south of my hotel. It was an amazing afternoon and I know I walked several miles in a 6 hour period.

I attend school near the China World Trade Center and my school is located in an area called SOHO. Soho refers to an architecture style and frankly it is ugly and institutional. For the Chinese it is a new way of building. I see absolutely NO beauty in it and I assumed all buildings were just offices. On my walks around Soho I discovered stores, and restaurants, and salons etc. It is a really cool area.

I had a birthday party for Markus today. He turned the big 20! He is from Sweden and such a wonderful kid. I purchased a cake and candles etc. (did you know you cannot buy plastic forks here? Not even in Walmart!) anyhow, I had taken some photographic books of New Mexico with me to give as gifts. I had all the students sign it in their language and that was our gift and card, he loved it! It was a fun afternoon.

School ended early because we learned a new model and we were allowed to stay there and work on our lesson or leave. I had someone ask me to switch days with them so I don't teach again until Monday. It was the perfect opportunity to explore. Olia, my little 5' russian friend wanted to 'walk' me to the supermarket. Oh my Lord! You should see this thing! I think I was in there for a good 2 hours. It was 3 levels, it is just massive.

On the way there I discovered my hotel is just 4 blocks from the new Art District that is set to open in late April. WOW, you should see the museums! They will be so cool once opened. I found an organic grocery store (just as expensive as in the states) and found a laundry, 3 coffee houses and so many spas and restaurants. I am sure the Soho district is where the ex-pats or visiting outsiders live as I saw dozens of "white people" on my journey. Funny thing is, I smile at them and they rarely acknowledge me.

There were NO envelopes to be found in this shopping mecca, and I am learning day by day how to live with less and less. I found out from Martin that the tea I had last night is a Korean tea. In my explanation of how much I loved it he blankly looked at me and said, "You are the only one I have ever met who is apparently excited about everything." I think it was a compliment. He is British but has lived in Beijing for over a year, he is very somber and proper. I think he might think I am slightly crazy, but then again, anyone who has ever met me would agree.

He does value my opinion though and interviewed me for some advice on opening the school in Japan :) (so there, maybe not completely crazy). When I went to the store tonight though I picked up another bottle of the Korean Tea. This time I got a Jujube Tea. I can't wait to try it.

I came back to the hotel and on the way back I realized what that wretched smell is that I keep smelling. About 40 yards south of the hotel is a public restroom. That means, a floor with holes in it and nothing to cover them. I knew it was familiar, it's like port a potty's at the fair on a hot summers day, only no doors - and they NEVER get emptied!

I went to a hotpot restaurant tonight. The menu was like a sushi menu and printed in Chinese. The waitress, upon seeing me stare blankly at the menu finally gave me one in English. The downfal was that in order to mark the menu I had to write next to the coresponding Chinese characters. When it came, I had ordered 9 side dishes! Two of which were mushroom. I lost track of what I was doing. There was so much food. I felt so wasteful when I left half of it untouched. Next time I will do much better. It was fun to eat and the locals seemed annoyed at me being there, I was the only obvious foreigner in a bustling little Xibu Xibu house. At one point I felt a stare directed at me from across the room, I looked up to see the cutest girl just smiling at me. I think she knew I was in way over my head :)

On the way back to the hotel I stopped to get some loquats and my 40 cent beer. I was in a near fatal crash with a bicycle and felt happy to have not suffered the apparent masacre headed my way. Walking along the river, the air was so thick I could barely breath. It hit my as to why people spit here so much. The heavy pollution, the hot spicy dishes, the cold air - they all make for difficult breathing. Rounding the corner towards my hotel I realized I would have to spit to keep going. I gave it a great effort and spit about 5' into the bushes. I was really proud of myself. Again, I could feel someone staring. Looking up to see if I had gained the approval of a Chinese man I saw a very pretty blonde haired, white skinned woman with the most horrified look on her face...Hmmm, maybe she thought I was chinese :)

*** this is the cake I bought for Markus, there is a dried duck from the grocery store and some statues at the art museum.

1 comment:

  1. i love the feeling of being a breath of fresh air to someone by just allowing my soul to be free and whimsical and authentic and savoring the simple pleasures - I'm sure you are a huge whirlwind of fresh air to more than just Martin, i imagine you just spilling over with your energy and enthusiasm and appetite for life - no doubt there are many that will be impacted in mighty ways before your visit is through!

    ReplyDelete