Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Temple of Heaven

Waking early I lay in bed contemplating the day that lay before me. I decided without too much hesitation to visit the Temple of Heaven. I have been there twice before, and I think it's a beautiful spot but I have just never had the time to wander and explore. I was quite excited to get my day started.

It was a bit warmer this morning and I was able to dress in a fleece top and a vest. It looked like impending rain all day long but never did transpire. Showing my Temple of Heaven card to the cabbie we headed off in a direction I was not quite sure of. None of it looked familiar after the first kilometer. We drove for quite a while and then he started pointing and speaking rather rapidly to me. I assumed we were there (or near by) and when he stopped. I thanked him and departed from the cab.

I could see the entrance and began to follow the groups of 'obvious foriegners' towards the south gate. I purchased my ticket and noticed a bathroom nearby so I decided to make a stop before entering. OMG! I am standing there and old ladies just start pushing me out of the way. The more I tried to move toward a stall, honestly - 25 people pushed past me. Finally I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, "Really ? ! " They stopped for a moment and then tried to push me over, I just put my arm out and yelled, "No!" they looked at me as though I were half mad. Which is true. I WAS mad!

It is hard to believe the serenity which resides within the walls that enclose the TOH and Ritian Park, you would never believe such a maddening city lies outside of them. The park is full of several thousand (according to the plaques) old cypress trees, many which are 800 years old. There are miles of paved sidewalk and it is peaceful as birds chirp, music plays and locals sing along while walking slowly through the park. The TOH itself is a beautiful building and there are many on the grounds that the Emperor used once a year during the Harvest Festival. The domed ceiling in the TOH is made of thousands of hand fired ceramic tiles. There is not a nail in the ceiling, the tiles are all tongue and groove. Amazing.

There were old men chattering and doing water calligraphy on the sidewalks. Children were flying kites with their parents and the most beautiful bride and groom were having photographs taken. I sipped on chrysanthemum tea and played ball for a few minutes with a man. It was a very nice day.

I remember the last time I was there. Our family was here together. I was texting Jim all throughout the park, it was like he was there. I wish he could have been. My boys bought a chinese hacky sack with feathers attached. Today, they were out in mass playing with them and selling them. I looked up and there were two little boys, brothers obviously. They each had one and were laughing and kicking it around. One had blonde hair and one had brown hair, they were no more than 3 years apart in age. Wow, it just stopped me in my tracks. It was so reminiscent of my boys when we were there. I'm grateful I got to see them. God is GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment