Saturday, March 27, 2010

Art

A few blocks down from where my hotel is located there is a new art district rising up into the Beijing skyline. New hotels are going up at a rapid rate, art is changing always, clubs are opening and apartments are flourishing. The outdoor art exhibits are awesome.

I posted photos a couple of weeks ago of several big silver statues of the same man making different poses. As I walked by the other night I noticed they were gone. It made me sad, they were happy statues. What I didn't realize is that they had been there for almost 2 years. Within 24 hours new art was being delivered to take the place of the statues. I feel so blessed to have gotten to see 'both' exhibits.

The new statues are 2 Phoenix's. They are made of recycled materials and are currently hanging from many large cranes that kept them suspended in the air. It appears they will eventually be made stationary on the ground as area has been cleared and roped off, but for now they hang in the sky, looking like big beautiful Chinese birds.

On my way to the market tonight I noticed the press was out in mass photographing them. It was cool, everyone in suit and tie, taking pictures, (then this crazy blonde American with pig tails bounces in between them to get her shots). They allowed it :) I was grateful. What totally took me by surprise was ~ when I came home, they were lit up like huge ornaments on a Christmas tree, floating beautifully in the night sky. WOW. Pictures do not do them justice. I have enclosed a couple though, so that first, you can see how many cranes it takes on the ground to support them, and second, just to get an idea what they look like.

There are also many figures of 'paper mache men' that sit around the edge of the art museum rooftop, and around the corner in the courtyard is a table of feasting pigs (makes pigs of themselves). It is about 30' long and made of metal. It is whimsical and fun.

The market was like Sams Club on a Saturday afternoon and I couldn't wait to leave. I did however search for the Jackfruit salesman when I saw a lady walk by with a small bag with several fresh pieces in it. I bought 5 pieces and he threw in a 6th for free. I find now that I am here that I have replaced my 'shopping' addiction with different ones like, exotic fruit, honey cakes and massage. With the Jackfuit tonight I was finding myself in a place where you have to wonder: does the moment of satisfaction for your taste buds reach it peak before you get a stomach ache from eating all the fruit? Tonight for me, it was the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment