Friday, March 19, 2010

Almost a perfect day

With every new day the weather in Beijing is slowly changing. I just returned home from the market and it is 9:00 pm at night. I walked a total over 40-50 blocks tonight and it was all after sunset. I did not freeze, I really didn't need my neck scarf and I even had my gloves off part of the time. My red cashmere coat is almost too hot and I am feeling a certain hope that I will really get down to wearing just my vest in the next two weeks.

It was a very good day. I taught my 4th lesson today and it was a smashing success. It was just so much fun and I got exceptional marks. The marks recorded also have to do with the level of certification you get. My instructor said at the beginning of the course that he has never given a 100% and only a few 99%'s has he awarded in the past 15 years. He was my observer today and I was last to go. We teach 45 minute lessons when we so our student teaching.

I focused my dialogue on celebrating since it was St. Patrick's Day. I had a really fun lesson (I say that because it was fun for me to teach). At the end of the lesson the class was in 'Celebration Mode.' I just had a blast. During class feedback my instructor said he had to work hard to find something to ding me on - and he found a small thing. I got a 99%!!! The feedback was wonderful but the most endearing part came from my student after class. Ling and her daughter were both in the class. Ling is a very quiet, beautiful woman who is truly trying to learn English. She really struggles. After class she was laughing and came and took my hand and said, "Thank-you Robin!" It made me almost want to cry. It is so worth it on days like today :)

When I returned to my hotel I quickly changed and headed for the market. I wanted to buy supplies for Friday's lesson. After finding what I think I can make work for my project - I went to the bottom floor of the 3 story store. There was a very small restaurant called Sushi Express. Really, it would fit in my living room and you'd still have room, I can't believe the people they cram into this small space. The sushi winds around in front of the counter you sit at and as it goes by you pluck the dish you want off of the conveyor belt. In the end, they total up the # of plates you have and that is how you pay. It was 6 kuai a plate, roughly .85 cents. There were anywhere from 2-6 pieces on each plate.

I had a lovely seaweed salad, a small cucumber roll, 2 flying fish egg pieces and then I saw the most interesting piece go by. It was white and rubbery looking and had a bright orange and red tip to it. It was placed on a block of rice and wrapped with seaweed. It looked amazing and I found a small menu and referenced the photo. It was "Welks". I grabbed a plate as it went by (it was a 2 pc plate), and it was AMAZING! It may be the single favorite piece of sushi I have ever had. Although I was full, I grabbed another as it went by. OMG, I just loved it! In the end, I had a wonderful dinner - unique and delicious for $4.30 US. My son Dalton would have loved this place, and the Welks!

Leaving the market I saw a man on the street carving up the single biggest Jack fruit I have ever seen. Seriously, it had to weigh 50 lbs. I stood watching as he extracted each section from the fruit and peeled the skin off that covers each segment. As I was staring he jabbered something to me (it's all Chinese to me ) :) I just half smiled and a young man and his girlfriend came up along side me. The young man leaned over my shoulder and said, "He said you may try a piece." I did, and (Jim this is for you) It was UNBELIEVABLE!

The man and woman stayed with me asking prices, telling how many pieces I wanted and so on. They were so helpful and like little wonderful Chinese angels sent to help me so I could enjoy this amazing fruit God has made! Jim has told me about them for years, and it was every bit as good as he says. I just walked back to the hotel, mumbling to myself, gloves off, munching on jackfruit. WOW.

Once again, I go to bed happy. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all. Like I stated in my title, this was almost my Perfect Day #7. For me, a PD is justified by everything being in a wonderful, fulfilling, perfect order from start to finish. This was so close, but like my instructor Alan, I had to find one thing wrong with this day because I just don't take PD's lightly and title every good day as such. I did however find the flaw. I was alone. I would have loved to have had my son at the sushi bar or see the look on Jim's face when he had a fresh piece of Jackfruit after 40 years. But, thanks to God - and thanks to every other thing that played a factor in today, I have to rate this day a 99!

No comments:

Post a Comment