Tuesday, March 9, 2010

International Woman's Day

I found out that today is "International Woman's Day." Olia, one of the girls in my class who is from Russia announced it to us this morning. No sooner had she said it then Veronica, the girl from China said, "Oh, it is the same day here as well." They were both so excited. We discussed the similarities between Woman's Day and Mother's day, and I learned that just like women in the states, these women like knowing they are loved and appreciated.

I really got to thinking about this and found many of my thoughts throughout the day focused on this issue. My mind is an incredible playground of thoughts at times. I find my mind works much like a circuit board (a short circuited board) and it bounces from thought to thought without missing what is going on around me. I have yet to determine if it is a blessing or a curse, but nonetheless, my mind flits and flutters all over the place.

During these moments of 'deep' thought I realized how blessed I am. I have a family at home waiting for me. I am here in China, AGAIN, all because my husband loves me. He has always lived by one simple rule with me....If it makes you happy....I realize how unusual and rare that is. He gives freely to me and always has. My life has been enriched in ways I never dreamed possible and I have lived out amazing adventures. I am here, he is home in New Mexico, all because he said, "If it makes you happy, do it."

My children love me. They didn't have a choice in if I came here or not. They just smiled as I left and said, "We'll miss you." They wished me well and I get sweet little texts from them asking advice, telling me hello or that they are praying for a teaching assignment I have. I have even received texts giving me advice for the assignment. I have not felt separated because we have constant contact with each other. I get pictures of things they have received in the mail, reports on their classes and work. I feel like they still "need me."

I am truly thankful for all that I have. I have actually worked for very little and have received so much in return. Almost everything I have, I have been given, and most of it has been given to me by my husband. He works hard, he works hard so I can play. I just can't quite convey how this makes me feel. I am far away, I have nothing to worry about, I am living my dreams and I have a support system at home waiting for my return. We are not a perfect family by any means, and we have much to work on on a daily basis. We know what it is like to have a perfect day and we also (unfotunately) know what the day from hell feels like. But we 'choose' to stay, we 'choose' to work on it, and we 'choose' to love each other.

When I get home I may find that the house needs cleaning, there may be piles of laundry and meals to be made. But at the end of the day, who could really want more? They are there. They are patient. They are waiting. It is with this realization that International Woman's Day took on a meaning of it's own for me. I feel loved, appreciated and cared for. I am grateful, I am humbled and I am in awe of all that I have been blessed with!

1 comment:

  1. i loved reading this blog robin, it's in those pondering moments that we are reminded of how blessed we truly are and to really savor every part of it...you are very loved and very appreciated from so many including me....thank you for the gift of "you"....xoxo

    ReplyDelete