Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Art of Massage

I have not dedicated the time to describe the massage parlor I have been frequenting, but again this morning I was reminded that it should be described. It is a beautiful place and one that will remain in my memory for a very long time.

The Dragonfly sits about 2 blocks behind the Forbidden City. It is not presumptuous or bold in the outer facade of the building, it blends rather nicely with every other little business tucked away in the rows and rows and city blocks of old Chinese architecture. Upon entering the building though you seem to be transported to another time. It is more like a Japanese massage parlor than what I would consider Chinese.

After being greeted by English speaking Chinese girls you are given a wonderful cup of complimentary tea. Sometimes, like today - you are given two (I arrived 20 min early). Once you step beyond the reception area, although they have ceiling lighting, it is almost solely lit by candles. Throughout the entire building it makes you feel like you are in a Japanese garden, giving the feeling that you are quite safe because somewhere a Samurai stands guard and protects you.

The ceilings are draped with a tan material, something between gauze and silk. A light amber glow shows throughout the facility, room to room. Everywhere you turn there are votive holders with dragonfly cutouts - therefore casting dancing dragonflies upon the walls. The flick of the candles makes it absolutely beautiful.

Dennis, the boy I request to do my massage waits patiently and guides me through the dim lighting carrying all of my wares, (coat, shoes, purse, tea, umbrella) whatever it may be. I have used him 6 times now and he still refers to me as 'Miss' and gives me a little bit better rub each time. Today in fact, I dozed off. Something I NEVER do in a massage. I love to be coherent to feel every single rub.

There is something about soaking your feet in an old bamboo bucket filled with steaming hot water, being gently covered with a soft warm blanket and having a bag of heated roasted barley placed on your belly. It just appeals to every sense and makes you feel all warm and cozy, even when outside all hell is breaking loose in the weather. I love this place. I love it so much! I am going again tomorrow for another 2 hour massage.

The weather was terrible this morning. The wind was blowing so hard. The attached photos were taken before 10 am this morning. You can see the air quality from all of the dirt being blown and lifted into the air. I went walking around the Dragonfly and found some interesting buildings and street sites. I'm attaching several.

After leaving the place where I had lunch (by the Dragonfly) I had a man start speaking to me in English. He let me know why the taxi's won't pick me up in certain area's. He told me the best places to stand to get one. He and I went into his store to continue talking. He is an artist and I looked at many of his paintings, even picked up a couple for gifts. They are really cool Confucian sayings. Relevant in any environment.

He got a piece of rice paper and said he wanted to do my name for me in calligraphy as a gift. I told him it was Robin and he broke it down in Chinese character, explaining what each meant. He told me the Ro stands for happy and amazing life, Bin is for beautiful flower. He told me I was named correctly (wow! Thanks mom and dad)...But I told him I do have a happy and amazing life. He said with this name I always will. I concur :)

For now, it is time for a nap. Enjoy the photos and there will be another post tonight after the housewarming....

No comments:

Post a Comment