Thursday, April 1, 2010

Random photos on a changing China

One thing I have noticed as I travel along are the new little random objects that are appearing around Beijing. Honestly, 20 years ago you would not have seen these. With the addition of new 'quirkismns' and changes in the way of life here - you also see so many time honored traditions melt away.

For instance, you see far fewer people walking around carrying their vegetables home to make a meal. More people are doing what I described last night and simply eating on the fly. Stopping at a vendor and snacking on their way to work. You will however see large tables of men eating together at night. Women are now finally being integrated into these dinners, but it is still usually just men.

I have only once or twice seen anyone practicing Tai Qi. It used to be the sidewalks were filled with people moving slowly, breathing, practicing their art form. In the late '80's, pool tables were set up in nearly any alley you could find. The automobile was still not prevalent and one lane of every road seemed to have a pool table. I have only seen one and it is in an American ex-pat bar on Sanlitun Street.

I miss seeing the old men walk around with their bird cages. I finally saw one yesterday. You used to see them walk in groups, all the while swinging these small bamboo cages that had a cotton cover over it. You could hear the chit-chatter of little birds, usually finches or canaries. I saw a couple hanging in a hutong window. The little water dishes that hang on the inside of the cage are porcelain and have beautiful orange coi painted on them.

I miss seeing children. I have only seen a few dozen (oddly) since I have been here, and I have been here a long time. The kids are what always made me smile here, they are just like kids anywhere ~ lively and fun.

Of course as I have mentioned, I miss the bicycles. I miss seeing the bicycle businesses as well. I have seen the mobile pet shop a few times though. There is a small flat bed on the back of the bike. On that flat bed is a 10 gal. aquarium filled with water and goldfish. He has plastic across the top. He has several different sized small glass tanks stacked inside each other. He has assorted rocks, a few plants and food. He then has 4-6 small cages with fluffy little snowball bunnies in them. He has a few turtles and a hamster. It is hilarious. He will stop and people buy their pets. (at least it deletes that smelly pet store odor)...

These may seem trivial, but they are so many of the things I remember about China. They are in such a hurry to westernize, it will be interesting to see what they are like in another 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment