Thursday, April 1, 2010

Incredible, edible food

One thing that will stick in my memory is the vast amount of 'weird & unusual' foods that I have seen on this trip. In the past, since we have always been with a tour group, we have had our meals served to us as soon as our butts hit the chair. On this trip I have been able to sit for long periods in different restaurants and read through the menus and ponder the dishes served.

I have seen everything from duck tongues to donkey, snake to pig trotters, fish lips (really) to intestines, sea slugs to shark fin, fish heads to donkey of doing things stew. I have pondered that last one for a few weeks now. My best guess is that it was the work mule that they slaughtered.

They really do eat bugs, and the restaurants that serve live seafood always have a tank of these giant earthworms. They look disgusting. I have seen african horned frogs in tanks and watched the snails crawl to the floor, only to be thrown back in the tank to land in a dish soon after.

All the 'weird' foods that I wanted to try - I decided I really didn't need to try. I opted for unusual dishes that sounded appealing instead. Today I ate at a Dai restaurant. Dai people come from the Yunan Province and usually dress in really vibrant woven cloth, much like the Guatemalans. I ordered Yunan Rice Tea, Wild Truffle stuffed Meatballs and Tree Fungas Soup. I also got a bowl of Noodles with Beef and chili. OMG, all were delicious.

Tonight I ate at a Sichuan restaurant. WOW. The food was amazing. Yes, I DID order too much, but I wanted to try so many things. I ordered the marinated and slow cooked Pork. I also got a bowl of Fresh Tofu with condiments and a Roasted Papaya Soup. The pork is to die for! The tofu came with 8 condiments. The tofu was warm and the waitress fixed my first bowl for me. There was a chimichurri sauce, chili & garlic paste, some red sauce, cooked soybeans, pickled mustard greens, these little crunchy things, cilantro and scallions. You add a bit of each to the small bowl of tofu and mix it all together. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven!

Next I had a papaya soup. They add chunks of roasted papaya to a chicken stock, add kidney beans and black boba (tapioca balls). It was tasty, different - but tasty. Now my family knows I am a sucker for sesame balls. I saw it on the menu and thought I was ordering one. They showed up at the end of the meal with a basket of 5, all the size of tennis balls! Like I could eat that! I was stuffed before they came.

My meals hear have been fantastic. I don't have one that I wish I hadn't eaten. I have enjoyed street food and tried about everything I could get my hands on. I haven't been sick from anything but today my stomach has been on somewhat of a rollercoaster. I am just glad it is at the end of my trip and not the beginning....

I look forward to cooking again. I can see that if I ever move here I may not cook anymore. It is far too easy and way to affordable to shop on the streets and let someone else prepare your food for you. I am also thankful God gave me tastebuds. Because of them I have learned that I have found a love for many new flavors, and I also credit them for proving to me that I detest durian :)

No comments:

Post a Comment