Friday, April 2, 2010

Parting words

For me, one of the greatest pleasures of travel has always been having someone there to share it with. God has blessed me with a fascination for small things. I don't know, I think it is a blessing, others may simply call it A.D.D., but for me it has always been the desire to see past the obvious and catch a glimpse at the otherwise unnoticed. Coming here on my own I was not sure that I could enjoy not having someone to turn to as I saw things unfold and say, "Wow! Did you see that?" or, "Can you believe this?"

Always having had my family members with me, I have always had someone to share in virtually every moment. One of our favorite pastimes is to sit around over dinner and someone will bring up something we did, or saw, or ate. We all chime in on the memory and laugh and have the best time. On this trip I did not have them. I have found that I turned a few times to say, "Look", only to realize I was alone.

This blog has been my new found love. I have taken extra care to pay attention to my surroundings hoping in some small way to shed light on what I am seeing. I have learned to 'be still' and take in the sights and sounds and smells all in an attempt to recreate it for others. Because I have been able to come back at the end of the day and jot my thoughts down, I have never really felt alone.

It has been another amazing chapter in my life. My life is not like one of those long novels that contains 100 pgs per chapter, instead, I read more like a Robert Patterson novel, 3-5 pgs per chapter. This was my interest is always kept and I find I venture out and try so much more. My experiences have been many and I often find myself being surprised at the end of the day as to how many I actually have in a 24 hour period!

I came here with fond memories of China. I knew I loved this place and wondered how being here on a non-tourist level would affect my feelings. I can say, with all honesty - that I leave loving this place perhaps a little more. I love the quite I found in the mist of a chaotic city, I love the peace I found in myself and I love the mystery and calm of the Chinese people. Their lives have been hard, they have suffered and they toil to get by - but I still hear laughter and see smiles (even if only among themselves).

I have made new friends, I have leaned much and I am excited to see my family. I am happy to get back to a 'free' country and to smooch my dog. Thanks to everyone who read along, dropped me a line once in a while and endured my food exploration. I guess it's as good a time as any to tell you all that I won't be returning to facebook when I get home. Although I have enjoyed it and reconnected with many an old friend, it became a bit of an addiction in my life. Being here without the availability of FB I realized how much time I had spent on it. I removed it from my phone and do not plan to frequent it on my computer.

Doesn't mean I care any less about anyone. As times call for reasons to get in touch I'll check in. For now I will refocus on my life, get the house in order and enjoy the few precious months we have with our boys. God really is GOOD. He alone has blessed me and given me so much. This is another one of those times. Thanks boys for surviving without me. Thanks Jim for selflessly giving so I could come. Thanks Connie for posting my blogs. I love you all.

*****the photos are scenes on the graffiti wall by my hotel ******

No comments:

Post a Comment