Saturday, February 27, 2010

Durian and other nasty things

There is a fruit here in asia that the locals seem to love, it is called a Durian. It is often quite huge, becsuse they are not picked but rather allowed to grow until they drop into nets placed below the trees. Not all locals love durian and even fewer westerners have let it get within 2' of their mouths.

The durian fruit itself lie in sections within the semi hard, very spiney outer shell. It resembles a puffer fish once he has "puffed". When the shell on the outside brakes the inside is filled with segments of an almost dry and slimey texture . Once you have broken the skin of the durian, whether accidental or intentional, you will discoevr the most putrifying, disgustingly nasty smell I have ever come across. It is a mix between highly sulfuric rotten eggs and the worst case of body odor known to man.

This morning sleep eveaded me. I was up at 2 am wide awake. The city is interesting at that time. It is hard to believe in a city off 22 million people, that there can be moments of complete still and utter silence. Walking in the frigid air, I saw some steam rising softly into the air from the manhole in the street I was walking down. It looked awesome, typically "Chinese" you could say. Light whisps of vapor rising to the sky.

Curiously I approached, not realizing at that same moment that I had my mouth open and was inhaleing! The smells that overtook me and made me choke and slightly gasp made me realize that at that very moment I was sure I had tasted Durian! Now, if I can ever get that wretched odor out of my nostrils, I may go back outside again today :)

2 comments:

  1. does the durian kind of look like a sea urchin? i kind of visualize that - i was thinking about when you were walking by the world trade center, i wonder if it is a similar vibe to times square and if it looks brilliant at every hour like it does there - taxi cabs honking - people from every walk of life buzzing about - hustle and bustle in every direction - i can totally visualize the steam rising! Very chinese indeed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar smells from Korea that I will never get out of my mind. It is funny when I smell some thing and get a flash back.

    ReplyDelete