Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 1

I woke to a wonderful snowy Beijing, and it was much like being home. After getting my very small but cozy room in order, 5 cups of the most wonderful oolong tea, and a much deserved hot shower, I hit the road. It was still fairly early and the Bank of China was not open. I was not sure if they would open on the weekend so I found an ATM and got some money (after a longer than necessary struggle I might add).

I discovered this great little restaurant and of course, NO ONE spoke english. Viewing a menu of pictures and chinese characters I finally settled on a steaming hot bowl of Congee (rice porridge) with 100 year old fermented duck eggs, shredded pork and cabbage. It was served with fried bread and was so delicious! I also had a cup of hot rose tea which just pushed me over the edge of euphoria! The little girls in the restaurant were adorable. They just sat and giggled as I rubbed my tummy, licked my lips and gave several gratitory bows.

I walked until I nearly froze, taking in the sounds, the sights and the smells that are so predominately "China." People here don't care much for eye contact, and anyone who knows me, knows I am all about eye contact. The women seem to stare right through me, but the men, even though I believe they like it less, they almost have a startled look of delight on their faces as I "stare them down" and smile at them.

I love that the people here dress for necessity rather than to be seen. Men dare to wear pink shirts with hot orange corduroy jackets because no one would think of viewing it as "unfashionable." It is warm, yet still reflects the color they have been allowed to don over the past 15 years, something non-existent 20 years ago.

Walking around, I realized how thankful I am to be here. I love to take in the sights, and sounds, (I could do without some of the smells), but all those things combined make China who it is. It is a wonderful place striving for the future while keeping one foot firmly planted in the past. I love the difference it shows, but in typical Chinese fashion, they find balance and harmony. You can be as modern or as old world as you choose here, and they offer the best of both of those worlds to anyone who wants to partake in it.

Mega love to you all...Here's a couple of shots from this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Robin's pictures:
    Sorry everyone I am not smart enough to post these on here. So I will be posting them on Facebook. If I can't post them under her name I will post them under mine. Connie Eldridge Moser. Send me a request and I will add you so you can see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the congee sounds good, i bet it left your belly all warm and fuzzy inside the way all the best comfort foods do :) the 100 year old fermented duck eggs would def be a new one for me - (so far i've only sampled quail and sparrow eggs), you make the combo sound yummy tho and the rose tea sounds divine! i can only imagine how serene it must have felt to wake up to the snow, did the horizon have a blue-ish glow to it? xoxox0

    ReplyDelete